By now, most people have heard about the murder of Trayvon Martin. I haven't been able to bring myself to listen to the audio of the 911 calls. As a mother, it is heartbreaking to imagine another mother listening to her child pleading for his life. Trayvon is not the first. That's what makes this situation even more devastating than it already is. As I collect my thoughts about this horrible, horrible taking of a young life, here is a selection of must read pieces about Trayvon Martin and the countless other young black men who have had there lives taken in the same way.
For those in the NYC area on April 9th, there will be a gathering for Trayvon Martin at 11:00am in Union Square Park. Follow #Justice4Trayvon on Twitter for details and updates. You can also call the Florida State Attorney (321-480-1163) and the Sandford Police Department to (407-688-5001) to demand that the case is properly investigated and that justice is served for the Martin family.
- Florida's Self-Defense Laws and the Killing of Trayvon Martin (theatlantic.com)
- Shooter of Trayvon Martin a Habitual Caller to Cops (miamiherald.com
- The Town Where Trayvon Martin Was Killed (theatlantic.com)
- 'I don't understand why this man has not been arrested' (mhpshow.msnbc.msn.com)
- Trayvon Martin Case: Why it Has EVERYTHING To Do With Race (chicagonow.com)
- The Curious Case of Trayvon Martin (nytimes.com)
- Trayvon Martin Killing's Youngest Witness, 13, Still Can Hear The Screams (huffingtonpost.com)
- The “Reasonable Fear” of a Black Male: The Trayvon Martin Tragedy (newblackman.blogspot.com)